August 9, 2010

Food Frenzy

A week ago I started what I like to refer to as "Baby Food Fest 2010". Kendall has been doing so well on her pureed solids, that I thought I'd do one last massive food prep session. She'll likely be starting finger foods in the next month or so, so we won't be doing purees for too much longer. After a trip to Costco, I started with this:

Peaches, pears, mangos, apricots, raspberries, bananas, avocados and strawberries

After purchasing a book on baby food purees, I even decided to try a couple of beef purees

After two days of steaming, baking, slow cooking, mashing and blending, I ended up with a freezer full of purees. Single fruit purees that can be eaten alone or mixed with another type of fruit, as well as beef cooked in applesauce and a beef stew puree. Kendall also feasted on a banana/avocado mash for a few days.


I was scared to attempt the meat purees, but even that wasn't that bad. I felt a bit like I was making cat food, but it smelled pretty good. What I tasted was actually pretty good.

Making Kendall's baby food is very time consuming, but I'm glad that I've had the time to do it. We've saved a lot of money and it feels good to feed her things that I've made. With love of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment